Thoughts, ideas, and experiences of a modern Christian living in a post-modern world.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Are you a Christian, or are you a good person?

Because you can't be both! This is something we could say to reach those around us, especially in the bible belt. Everyone claims to be Christian, but I wonder how many would also claim to be a good person. The Bible says we can't be both. Jesus said He "came not to call the righteous, but sinners." I am a Christian because I realize that I am not a good person, that's why I need Jesus. I need Him to forgive me. I needed Someone to pay my fine so that I could go free and be justified. If the only way to heaven is through Jesus (John 14:6), and He only calls sinners and not good people, then that is a very narrow way to Heaven. Therefore, we must come up with a way to convince people that everyone is a sinner. God has already prepared a way, a "schoolmaster" or "tutor" to drive men to Christ (Galatians 3:24). It is God's Law (Romans 7:7, Romans 3:20).

So, next time I find myself in the conversation of spiritual things with a person that claims to be Christian, but doesn't back it up with their lifestyle, maybe I'll say, "Are you a Christian, or a good person, because, you know, you can't be both."

No comments: