Thoughts, ideas, and experiences of a modern Christian living in a post-modern world.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

The JW's don't like me anymore

So, I backed out of my driveway today to see some Jehovah's Witnesses down the street making their way down our block. My heart raced and I accelerated the car in order to make my errand and get back in time to talk to them when they knocked on my door.

When I got back, I made a pass to see which door they were at, and... YES! They had not made it to mine yet! So, I ran inside and opened the window and waited. I watched the married couple and their son make their way toward our neighbors' houses, one at a time. Finally they left my next-door neighbor's house and started walking toward our house. I even grabbed Emmie and was prepared to put her up (because she barks and freaks out when someone rings the door bell), but to my consternation, there was no ring. No knock. 10 seconds went past, then 30, then 2 minutes. No Jehovah's Witnesses. I opened the door and walked to the mailbox to check the mail. They had straight passed my house!

The JW's don't like me anymore. We have a history. I have invited them into my home, and we have sat down at the table before and duked it out with our "swords" (my Bible and their "Watchtower improved" bible look-a-likes). Anyway, that incident ended well in my opinion, with me agreeing to study with them further. They never called back.

The next group came by and the lady gave me a pamphlet and I graciously took it. I said with a smile, "Oh great, here is something I would like to give you", and I offered her a gospel tract. Her expression changed and she said, "We don't accept anything people give us", to which I replied, "Okay then, I won't accept what you give me either", giving her pamphlet back. I thought it was only fair that we exchanged literature. She didn't agree. As I closed the door wishing them a good day, I said, "Make sure you've got the right Jesus!" I don't think she appreciated that.

Then there was the letter that I sent out to all my neighbors about the recent visits by the JW's. I quoted a lot of scripture that clearly portrays Jesus as God, a minor detail that the JW's don't happen to believe. Maybe that letter got around to them. I don't know. But I do know that I am "on their list" now. They don't visit anymore.

No comments: